Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Olive and herb focaccia

Olive and herb focaccia / Focaccia de azeitonas e ervas frescas

I do not understand people who don’t like olives – don’t get me wrong, I have my own food pet peeves (won’t eat liver for the life of me), but olives are so juicy, so meaty and tender... I find them completely irresistible. ;)

That is why, while setting up the ingredients for this delicious bread, I pulled 20 olives out of the jar. :D

Olive and herb focaccia
slightly adapted from The Weekend Baker

Dough:
3 cups + 1 tablespoon (430g) all purpose flour
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or thyme
2 ¼ teaspoons (7g) dried yeast
2 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
1 ¼ cups (300ml) warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil

Topping:
12-15 black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh oregano or thyme leaves
1 teaspoon coarse salt – I used Maldon

In a large bowl, combine flour, oregano, yeast, salt and sugar. Stir to combine. Drizzle with the water and the olive oil and stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and no longer sticky, about 10 minutes – resist the urge to add more flour; the dough is really soft so I preferred to use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook to knead the dough.
Shape the dough into a ball and place into a lightly oiled large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Lightly oil a heavy cookie sheet. Turn the dough onto it and press gently to deflate. Shape into an oval about 2cm thick - the oval will be about 25cm (10in) long. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil and loosely cover the surface directly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise again in a warm spot until puffed and almost double, about 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 220°C/428°F. Remove the plastic wrap from the dough. Lightly coat your middle 3 fingertips with flour and press into the dough down (but not through) the bottom. Repeat this dimpling all over the dough. Scatter the olive pieces over the surface, pressing them into the dimples. Drizzle the dough evenly with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with the oregano and the coarse salt.
Bake until the top of the focaccia is golden and browned, 25-30 minutes. Remove from the pan and, using a large metal spatula, transfer the focaccia to a wire rack, drizzle with the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Serve warm (I found it delicious cold, too).

Makes 1 large focaccia

11 comments:

Jan said...

I recently made my first focaccia (a sweet one with cherries, apricot, and rosemary), and I loved it. My only issue was that the dough recipe specifically said the dough would be sticky, and it was, rendering it a little tough to work with. I can't wait to try yours to see the difference!

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

I love olives and this focaccia sounds marvelous!

KrithisKitchen said...

I am a big fan of olives and your focaccia looks like a must try version..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Event: Healing Foods - Banana

Priya Suresh said...

Love focaccia, looks stunning and marvellous..

shaz said...

Sounds like something I want on my dinner table. Soon. Thanks for linking to the Abigail Dogde Johnson book.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a splendid focaccia! So soft and delicious looking. A perfect summer treat. Lovely click!

Cheers,

Rosa

Citromhab said...

Recently, I've skimmed through an Italian cook book and I found 2 very attractive bread, scacchiata and focaccia. To be honest, I cannot decide what the difference between them, they seem to be very similar. Could you help me in it?
By the way, your focaccia is marvellous:-))

Sarah said...

I love focaccia. Such a simple bread and if you put a few hearty toppings on it, it can be the main course in a meal!

Christine said...

Looks really delicious! I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Thanks for sharing :)

Rivki Locker said...

My husband has an aversion to olives, and like you, I just DON'T get it! How could you not like those things??? This looks wonderful. I love how nice and dimpled it came out. So pretty!

Nish said...

Just like Rivki's husband, my bf has a severe aversion to olives, much to my dismay of course! However we both love focaccia so will definitely be making this soon, two versions of course - with and without olives ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails