Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tomato, arugula and grana padano tart and a Sunday miracle

Tomato, arugula and grana padano tart / Torta de tomate, rúcula e grana padano

A miracle happened in my house last Sunday – I said I was going to make this tart for lunch and Joao said he was going to eat it, too. :D
After lunch, he said the tart was delicious, which made me both surprised and happy – those of you with picky eaters at home know the feeling... :)

It’s a very simple recipe, with almost no cooking involved, but I had to share it with you.

Tomato, arugula and grana padano tart
from Australian Gourmet Traveller

Grana padano pastry*:
1 cup (140g) all purpose flour
100g chilled unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup (34g) finely grated grana padano – or use parmesan as in the original recipe

Mustard dressing:
½ tablespoon olive oil
juice of 1 lime
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Topping:
500g mixed baby tomatoes, such as yellow grape, cherry and baby Roma – halve the larger ones and leave the small ones whole
1 small bunch of arugula
shaved grana padano, to serve

For grana padano pastry, process flour and butter in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add grana padano, process to combine, add 2 tablespoons (or more) iced water, pulsing to form a dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly to form a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (1 hour). Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a 35cm-diameter round and line a lightly buttered 24cm-diameter tart pan, trim edges and prick base with a fork. Freeze for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter the shiny side of a large piece of aluminum foil place it, buttered side down, tightly against the crust. Fill with baking weights/dried beans. Bake pastry until light golden (15-25 minutes), then carefully remove paper and weights and bake until golden and crisp (5-10 minutes). Set aside to cool completely.
For mustard dressing, whisk ingredients in a large bowl to combine, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
Add tomato to dressing, toss lightly to combine, then transfer to pastry case. Toss the arugula leaves in the dressing too and place some leaves over the tomatoes (you’ll serve the remaining leaves with the tart slices). Scatter over grana padano shaves and serve immediately.

* I kept the pastry in the freezer (well wrapped in plastic) for 1 week; thawed it in the fridge overnight before using – it worked perfectly.

Serves 4 as a light meal – the hubby and I ate the whole thing and there was nothing left. :D

12 comments:

My Little Expat Kitchen said...

I love the colors and the fact that the grana padana is IN the pastry!
Magda

Unknown said...

it is a gorgeous dish

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

How beautiful. I wish my children would eat tomatoes!

Scarletta @ Scarletta Bakes said...

This tart looks lovely and delicious - I can't wait to try it. I love how it seems simple yet complex all at the same time. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!

LimeCake said...

Very lovely tart, Patricia! It looks delicious!

Joana Faria said...

OMG... So lovely and yummy!
I must try this. Now.
xx

Vegolicious said...

What a beautiful looking tart. It looks so delicious.

I’d love for you to submit some of your beautiful photos, and a link to your posts, to my vegetarian food photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian/vegan dishes on the web.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Magda, thank you! This pastry is delicious and the house smelled wonderful while I was baking it. :D

Jennifurla, thank you!

Sally, thank you! I wish my hubby would, too. :D

Scarletta, thank you for stopping by! I do hope you give it a try!

LimeCake, thank you!

Joana, thank you for stopping by! Let me know how it turns out for you.

Vegolicious, thank you for stopping by.

Patty said...

How fresh, lovely, and delicious! Such a striking photo too. :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

What a refreshing tart including the way it looks. I love this!

Kimberley said...

It's so funny how we're in opposite seasons - I wanted to make a tart exactly like this over the past summer but never got around to it. I'll have to save it for next summer!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Patty, thank you! :D

Xiaolu, it's pretty much a salad with a twist, right? ;)
Thank you!
xx

Kimberley, and you've got me craving fall flavors! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails